My Literacy History

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tool Kit Text 6


Math Games & Activities from Around the World, by Claudia Zaslavsky.

This book is a collection of math games from around the world, including Mexico, Kenya, China, England, and the United States. Some of the games date back thousands of years, such as Mancala, which is now known by as many as twenty different names around the world. For each game, Zaslavsky provides a history (if it is known), the variations among different cultures, materials needed, and rules of play. Her descriptions are both informative and entertaining, something all teachers try to achieve. This text will provide worthwhile activities for students when they finish their assigned work early, a time filler after a test, or a class reward for meeting a specific goal.

1 Comments:

  • At July 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

    This looks like a fun book! I would have loved to have the opportunity to play games like this as an after test activity when I was in high school. I played Mancala when I was a kid, but I can't remember the rules now. I may have to go find this book just for that game!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home