My Literacy History

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strategy 9: Word Walls

Word walls are good for non-fluent readers because, according to Beers, if students do not recognize a word out of context, they certainly won’t recognize it in context. The word wall should be created as the unit progresses so that students can see how the new vocabulary relates to the concepts being presented. Also, if the word wall was complete before the unit started, the number of items on the wall may be overwhelming. The teacher must continue to use the word in the context of the curriculum as well as post it on the word wall. Seen but not heard will do little good in familiarizing students with new vocabulary.

I am going to try something new this year with the word wall. Instead of designating a single bulletin board to math vocabulary, I’m going to use the large, colored paper to make a portable word wall. Once the unit is completed, instead of clearing the wall and starting over, I will just move it to a different part of the classroom, using that tape that the janitors hate, and continue to make a collage of word walls for each quarter. My hope is that students will see reoccurrence with some of the terminology. I’m also considering making a different group of students responsible for each of the different word walls. I want the class to take ownership of the vocabulary, but I will see 95 students every day, so selection may be difficult, since I don’t want to exclude anyone who wants to participate. I’m hoping for feedback on that…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home