My Literacy History

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

No Hablo Espanol...




Our love for, and interest in, horses has allowed us to cross paths with people from different backgrounds, races, and cultures. As a result, we have had the privilege of becoming friends with families from Zacatecus, Mexico. I was honored at the way they introduced us to their culture, and welcomed us as if we were part of the family. We even hosted a coleaderos, or rodeo, at our ranch. The more we got to know the families, the more I understood the difficulties they faced daily regarding the language barrier. Most of the women in their culture did not speak any English, so Spanish was almost always the language used at home. Also, even the men and children who spoke very good English often did not read or write, not only in English, but also in Spanish.
As a result, when I began working in a middle school who had a Hispanic population of 45%, I was not surprised at how difficult it was for these children to speak English, and then have to learn new material in English as well. My husband and I have been in the situation where we cannot understand the dominant language in a group of people, and it is a very helpless feeling. As a result, I feel that experience has made me more empathetic to the English language learners in my classroom.

3 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Erica Steffensen said...

    The language barrier is something all educators are having to face now. Like you, we should all be up to the challenge and see this as a learning experience for everyone involved.

    As a future art educator, I'm grateful that art, pictures, illustrations, are a universal visual language. For many ESL students, this is a pathway to self-expression where they otherwise feel they have no voice.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    What a great experience! Yes, it really makes a difference to know what it's to not be able to communicate. Your suggestions about art, pictures and even nonverbal communication is helpful.

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I did a story at a school which was flunking because so many of the students were the children of migrant workers who had to move wherever there was work, which meant the kids understandably were going in and out of schools. It's such an unfortunate situation. I don't know that everyone gets an inside look, like the one you've detailed here. It's a good experience.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home