My Literacy History

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Book to Remember

Titanic. Most people immediately have an image in their mind of the most luxurious ocean vessel of her time, and whose maiden voyage, as well as 1500 of her passenger's lives, ended tragically in the frigged North Atlantic. I, like millions of people around the world, were moved by James Cameron's movie depiction of the events leading to the sinking of the Titanic. So after seeing the movie 7 times in the theater, 2 of which by myself, I wanted to know the real Titanic story, which could only be explored through books.
I began my literacy journey with "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord, followed by "The Night Lives On..." by the same author. I can't remember all the titles I read, or their significance to the historical account of the sinking, but after being completely hooked by the movie, I read no fewer than 12 books on the subject, and visited the Titanic traveling exibit at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

1 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Pete Bundy said...

    A Night to Remember was made into a movie back in the mid 50's I believe and as I recall it was true to the book. And by being in black and white actually made the movie seem more realistic. And I sure learned some info about horses I didn't know. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home