My Literacy History

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The 1st Book I ever "Read"



Immediately after college, I didn't want to read anything. After 16 years of reading what others had told me to, I didn't want to read at all. I had gotten a job, my own place, and my adult life had begun. Then something strange happened... I got bored. I was working my job, taking care of business, but in my down time, I didn't have much to do. My coworker read all the time. She had read so many books, I doubt she could remember them all. I loved listening to her talk about the stories she experienced, and her enthusiasm as she chose her next book to immerse herself into.
Hoping to experience some of that excitement myself, I read "The Lords of Discipline" by Pat Conroy. What a wonderful experience! For the first time I could remember, I felt as though I was experiencing the story as it was being told. This epiphany could be explained by many factors: Was it the author's skill at telling a story? Was it the fact that I wanted to emulate my coworker and mentor? Was it where I was in life, and reading filled a void? Perhaps all three. However, even though I had read books in high school and college that I enjoyed, I believe that this book was the first book I ever truly read.

1 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Interesting that you were bored and reading filled that void for you. I do relate to not reading. I am an avid reader but I haven't had time to immerse myself in a novel during these summer sessions. Instead, I must get my reading "fix" from magazines. They're non-committal and don't keep me up all night. Unlike Pat Conroy. I did not read the Lords of Discipline but I saw the movie and lived in Charleston for many years. His way with words is magical! A person could never go to South Carolina and still have a familiarity with it as if they did; merely by reading Conroy. If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend the Prince of Tides. It was so good that I still to this day recall how sad I felt as I slowly read the last page. I just didn't want to leave those people behind. He had written so well they were no longer characters.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home