My Literacy History

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Literacy of the Horse


My husband and I have 8 horses. If we were to mention to someone that our horses could read, they would immediately think we are lying, or have a horse with super-natural powers. Horses surely cannot read. Or can they...
Horses are prey animals, meaning they do not hunt, but are hunted. Their survival, like any prey animal, depends on their ability to interpret and react with their environment. In other words, they must be able to read what is happening around them. Likewise, being horse owners, our safety in dealing with these 800-1100 pound animals requires us to learn to speak and understand the horse language. We have had to educate ourselves on the meaning of their movements and body language, and them with us. For example, when a horse pins back their ears, such as Kate is illustrating, that is a sign of disapproval. It could mean you are standing too close, they don't like the saddle, or they want the rest of the herd to stay away from their pile of hay.
Horses are also masters at reading our body language. They notice if you are confident or timmid by the way you approach them. Horses can also sense if you are relaxed or tense. Some trainers have said that the horse goes where the eyes go, so look forward if you want them to move! When we focus in a certain direction, all our senses and muscles adjust to that focus, and horses pick up on all those tiny clues are body gives. In other words, they are reading us.

2 Comments:

  • At June 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

    I love this! When I was practicing as an equine vet, I struggled with trying to explain this concept to clients. The best I could come up with was "they just KNOW" but explaining it as the horse reading you is such a better way of thinking about it. And the more you understand the language they are "reading" from you, the better you can "write" out what you want from them!

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was having a similar conversation about horses being prey animals just last night. My friend the vet and I were going on about our love of horses. I told her that I liked riding the Clydesdale because as I was told their prey mentality had been bred out of them so they are much less "act first and ask questions later" like some horses. To get back to your point, I had not thought about them "reading" the situation. You know horses way better than I ever will but my experience has been that they are quite alert at all times, just as you said.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home